Growing Healthy Clinic Serves Moms and Children
Youville Centre recently hosted a Growing Healthy Clinic for our young mothers and their children, and some of our alumnae participated as well. The purpose of a Growing Healthy Clinic is to screen children between the ages of birth and 6 years of age for developmental delays, and in turn, if necessary, refer them to the proper interventions in order to give them the best opportunities to succeed in school.
Set up in a tradeshow format, community partners met with the young moms and children to discuss the child’s growth and development through assessment and discussion. A play area, snacks and information on child development, literacy, immunization and other topics related to raising healthy children were provided. Community partners who provided assessments at the clinic included:
- Ottawa Public Health – Immunization Assessment, Dental Assessment, Nutrition Assessment
- Crossroads Children’s Centre — Behavioural Assessment
- First Words — Speech and Language Screening
- Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre — Developmental Assessment
- Parent Resource Centre (Early Literacy Specialists) — Promotion of Literacy
It was a fun and educational clinic where moms had the unique chance to sit down with so many experts to discuss their child’s needs. We would like to thank each of the community partners who were a part of this clinic for offering their time and expertise.