Healthcare at Youville Centre
We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to host health clinics on-site at Youville Centre. Satellite clinics, that are independently run and not part of Youville Centre’s core programming are meaningful assets to the breadth of services we are able to provide for our young mothers and their children.
Dr. Sarah Oliver with Youville Centre clients
Offered weekly at Youville Centre, the medical clinic was founded by, and is managed by Dr. Sarah Oliver, a General Practitioner at the University of Ottawa Health Services. Dr. Oliver volunteers her time with the following aims in mind:
- To provide primary medical care in an stress-free and comfortable environment for both Youville moms and their children
- To create a trusting relationship with the mothers at Youville so that they may feel comfortable seeing a Doctor for their ongoing medical needs
- To encourage Youville moms to see a consistent provider and to have appropriate followup for concerns, rather than using walk-in clinics for their healthcare needs
- To attend to main medical issues as presented, including physical health, mental health, and childcare concerns
- To act as a liaison between Youville moms and consultants at CHEO or The Ottawa General Hospital
- To continue to provide medical care for moms and children at the UOttawa clinic after they graduate from Youville Centre
Ottawa Hospital Women’s Health Clinic
Dr. Tania Dumont and Nurse Tara Gervin
The Ottawa Hospital generously funds this bi-weekly clinic at Youville Centre that provides obstetrical and gynecological medical support to our young moms. Dr. Tania Dumont in partnership with Dr. Natalie Fleming and an Ottawa Hospital Nurse provide excellent care to our pregnant and parenting adolescent mothers who benefit from treatment of medical concerns, pre and post-natal care, HPV vaccinations, and contraceptive counselling and support.
PODS Dental Clinic
L: Dental Hygienist Karen and Dentist Luz provide dental care for a Youville Centre mom
R: Dr. Tom Harle presented the Oral Health Bursary to Youville graduate Shayna in 2014.
The Portable Outreach Dental Service (PODS) was founded by local dentist, Dr. Tom Harle, who runs the clinic with his team of volunteer Dental Hygienists and Dentists. Supplies are donated and Dr. Harle continues to seek funding to help support the continuation of this important service. Inaugurated with generous start-up funding provided by the Ottawa Dental Society, International College of Dentists and Health Teams International, this portable, no-cost clinic has been rotating among the agencies of the Young Parent Support Network of Ottawa (at nine month intervals) serving pregnant and parenting moms and their children. The PODS philosophy of care is:“Empowering Ottawa’s high-risk, young mothers to be active participants in their personal oral health and that of their children, through the provision of easily-accessible, free basic dental services focused on disease prevention, oral health promotion and education. As a charitable clinic the overall goal is focused on providing a quality client contact experience and outcome.” By focusing on disease prevention, oral health promotion and education, Dr. Harle and his team are empowering Youville moms to take responsibility for their own and their children’s oral health and to make sound decisions about their dental care.
We are also grateful to Dr. Harle for providing an Oral Health Bursary which is available annually to Youville Centre graduates who have sought dental care from the PODS clinic (for themselves or their children), demonstrate financial need, and have been accepted into an oral health-related area of study at an accredited post-secondary institution.